This module is an introduction to the role of pharmacoeconomics (PE) in medical decision making from multiple perspectives. It will introduce the concepts of types of PE/Cost-effectiveness analysis (CEA), general computation involved in these analyses, and how to evaluate a CEA.
By the end of the Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics module, you will be able to:
- State the role of PE in medical decision making.
- Define the types of PE/cost-effectiveness analyses (CEA).
- Explain the societal, patient and payer tradeoffs involved in using PE for medical decision making.
- Understand the difference between and usefulness of average and incremental (marginal) CEA.
- State the definition of utility measurement and its use in cost-utility analysis.
- Understand the elements essential to a published CEA.