York Health Economics Consortium (YHEC) is looking to recruit a Research Consultant to support a range of projects in the Outcomes Research work stream. YHEC is a health economics contract research and consulting company owned by, and based at, the University of York. YHEC provides consultancy and research to a wide range of public and private sector bodies. Our clients include:
- Government bodies, such as the Department of Health
- NICE and the SMC
- Global pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Medical device and biotech companies
Main Purpose of the Job
The primary purpose of this post is to undertake research and consultancy projects within the outcomes research (OR) work stream in YHEC. The candidate will be expected to work in project teams alongside other research staff and project directors. This post will report to the lead for the OR team.
- Undertake project work in outcomes research. This will include, systematic reviews of patient-reported outcome (PRO) measures; systematic reviews of patient-reported outcome (PRO) measures; quantitative data synthesis (meta-analysis), including identifying and retrieving relevant quantitative data from publications and other sources.
- Provide support to senior staff undertaking other aspects of OR including statistical analysis of PRO data; developing and conducting interviews with stakeholders; validating PRO instruments and developing patient-reported experience measures.
- Collect, analyse and interpret data.
- Undertake (telephone) meetings with clients and key stakeholders.
- Report preparation and presentation to clients.
- Client liaison within a project, with the support and guidance of senior colleagues.
- Contribute to sales and marketing activities within the company.
- Occasionally provide supervision of other staff working on the project team.
The post holder is expected to work largely without direct supervision but closely in cooperation with other members of the OR and project teams.
Essential qualifications, knowledge, skills and attributes are:
- A degree in psychology, health services research, economics or a related subject.
- Knowledge of patient-reported outcome measures and utility elicitation.
- Knowledge of statistics and/or psychometrics.
- Experience of statistical software, e.g. SPSS, SAS, Stata.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise work depending on client deadlines.
- Enthusiasm, commitment and ability to produce consistently high quality work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to engage in continuing professional development and to contribute to peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and attributes are:
- Knowledge of statistics or psychometrics applied to patient-reported outcome measures.
- Experience of undertaking systematic reviews and evidence synthesis.
- Knowledge of qualitative research methods.
Terms of Employment
Posts at YHEC are permanent and subject to regular review of performance. Staff are appointed for a trial period of six months, following which employment will be confirmed, subject to successful performance.
The salary will be within the range £22,000 to £38,000. In addition, York Health Economics Consortium has provision to pay annual performance-related pay bonuses. Membership of a defined contribution or defined benefit pension scheme is available subject to eligibility criteria being satisfied. Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days per year, plus bank holidays.
Additional information alongside the appropriate method of application can be found by following the link below:
To keep up to date with all our job openings, please regularly check our website: