Value-based reimbursement is becoming more prominent in the health care industry, and targeted population health management initiatives play a critical role in helping providers meet prevention and management goals, and payers control costs, according to a recent HealthIT Analytics article.
Providers often have concerns about how they will be compensated in shifting to value-based care models, however clear communication between payers and providers is a vital first step. Providers should ensure they understand exactly what payers expect in exchange for performance bonuses or bundled payments, while also communicating providers’ needs are critical to success for population health programs.
Before transitioning to any value-based system, providers should be asking five questions:
- What are your goals, and how will you measure them?
- What are reimbursement options for supporting this work?
- What data or analytics tools will be provided, and how can we access them?
- What do you need from us?
- And what comes next, and how can we get there together?