The Hospital Episode Statistics contain details of all admissions to NHS hospitals in England and is a main data source for a wide range of healthcare analysis for the NHS, government, pharmaceutical industry and research community. This intensive workshop introduces participants to HES data and how to handle and manipulate these very large patient-level data sets using computer software. Data manipulation and statistical analysis will be taught and demonstrated using Stata.
Participants will engage in problem-solving exercises, analysing the information in highly interactive sessions. They will be provided with Stata codes and artificial datasets that resemble the HES data which they can copy and take away.
Areas to be covered include how to:
- understand, manage and manipulate the data;
- construct and analyse key variables such as waiting times, length of stay or readmission;
- analyse individual patient records;
- aggregate data by Healthcare Resource Group or organisation;
- cost data by HRG and reference costs;
- evaluate Patient Reported Outcome Measures (PROMS);
- use the data for benchmarking.